Liga para a Protecção da Natureza [Nature Protection League]
LPN is a non-profit and non-governmental environmental organization (NGEO) with a legal status of public utility. Founded in 1948, is the oldest NGEO in the Iberian Peninsula. Acting nationwide, its mission is to contribute towards the conservation of nature, biodiversity and protection of ecosystems, by creating projects for conservation and research, and also for environmental education and training. With a vast experience in implementation of LIFE Nature projects, LPN is currently responsible for the general coordination of the project LIFE Charcos. The project team will be based in the Environmental Education Centre of Vale Gonçalinho (CEAVG) in Castro Verde.
For more information on LPN go to www.lpn.pt
University of Évora
The University of Évora (UEvora) is a higher education public institution. Its Research and Development (I&D) is structured according to several areas of a network of 14 Research Units (UI), which comprehends the following areas: Agronomy and Biodiversity; Geophysics, Environment and Landscape; Materials; Economy and Management; Computation Sciences and Software Interoperability; Social and Political Sciences, History, Art History, Science and Culture, Applied Mathematics; Education; Literature; and Elderly’s Health.
The University of Évora has two research centres associated to this project:
- The Institute of Mediterranean Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (ICAAM) – Research and Development unit of the University of Évora created in 1991 in the context of the programme 'Science'. It is located in the Campus of Mitra, an experimental estate with about 285ha, 10 km from the city of Évora. The ICAAM develops its activities based in multidisciplinary teams comprehending researchers from the fields of Rural Engineering, Zootechnics, Biology, Agronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Ecology, Economics, Landscape and Territory, Soil Sciences and Veterinary Medicine.
- Research Centre for Biodiversity and Genetic Resources (CIBIO) – a Research and Development Unit of excellence that carries out basic and advanced research in every component area of biodiversity: genes, species and ecosystems. It has four core centres in Portugal: Porto/Vairão, Lisbon, Évora and Azores. Through ICAAM the University of Évora is responsible for the scientific coordination of the project.
University of Algarve
The University of Algarve (UAlg) is a higher education institution, located in Southern Portugal, and it has been - since its foundation - strongly related with the multidisciplinary research in the areas of biology, ecology and hydrology.
The University of Algarve has three research centres associated to this project:
- The Centre of Marine Sciences (CCMAR) is a non-profit organization located on the Gambelas campus of the University of Algarve and dedicated to R&D in the Marine Sciences.
- Marine and Environmental Research Centre (CIMA) – Research Unit of the University of Algarve, founded in 1998 as a multidisciplinary initiative, its goal is to carry out the activities of research, advanced training, service rendering, scientific disclosure and also disclosure of information amongst the general public.
- Centre of Marine Sciences and Technologies (CTA) – study and development centre aiming to promote scientific research in the areas of marine sciences and technologies, and management of water resources. CTA enjoys scientific autonomy and carries out its research in the following fields: a) Characterization and modelling of natural hydrological systems; b) Monitoring and requalification of water resources; c) Marine technologies.
Municipality of Odemira
The Municipality of Odemira is a local governing body with authority in the area of territorial planning and responsible for promoting a correct use of the territory. As an example of environmental promotion and awareness, the Municipality of Odemira created in 2002 the Environmental Education Centre, which includes 7 thematic spaces (Ecology room; Water Park; Nursery; Arboretum; Waterline course; Mills’ Hill; Pedagogical Farm). This great project for environmental awareness was one of several projects carried out by the Municipality along with the Secondary School of Odemira, hence contributing towards the promotion of science and nature conservation amongst young people of the region.
For more information go to www.cm-odemira.pt
Association of Beneficiaries in Mira
The Association of Beneficiaries in Mira (ABM) was established in 1970 and recognized as a Legal Person of Public Law - under the provisions of the Ordinance no.222/92 from July 13th 1992. ABM is responsible for the management of the Hydro-agricultural Operation of Mira and Corte Brique. The intervention area stretches from Santa Clara-a-Velha until Vila Nova de Milfontes to the north, and until the town of Rogil to the south, thus comprehending 12,000ha of beneficiated land – being a significant of which part located within the Southwest Alentejo and Vicentine Coast Natural Park. Its main functions include provide water, both in terms of quality and quantity, to the beneficiaries of the hydro-agricultural operations; manage and maintain structures, equipment and personnel working in the hydro-agricultural operations; promote irrigation and the agricultural/rural activities of the region, as well represent and defend the interests of beneficiaries.
For more information go to www.abmira.pt