The project’s overall aim is to enhance the conservation status in southwest Portugal of Mediterranean Temporary Ponds (MTPs) by fulfilling the following goals:
- Compile, in a coherent and homogeneous database, the available biological information and updated cartography;
- Promote the reduction and elimination of the identified threats, in order to halt the destruction caused on this habitat in the recent past;
- Demonstrate management and restoration techniques that will improve and enhance the conservation status of the temporary ponds;
- Create and establish a seed bank, primarily, as a tool for conservation and restoration actions, and also for safeguarding biodiversity;
- Promote locally the dissemination of knowledge about the ecology and function of temporary ponds, through demonstrations of sustainable management practices;
- Contribute to the long-term protection of temporary ponds, engaging landowners, farmers and decision makers;
- Increase public awareness about temporary pond habitat preservation and the value of the ecosystem services they provided.